Skip to main content

13 going on 30: When My Daughter Wants Roots & I Want Wings


 It’s funny how life works.

When I was 13, I couldn’t wait to grow up.

Now I’m 30, and sometimes I find myself wishing I could go back and tell my younger self to slow down because growing up doesn’t mean having all the answers.

The crazy part is … my daughter and I have been growing up at the same time.

She is 13, standing at the beginning of becoming a woman.

Im 30, standing at the beginning of becoming the woman Ive always imagined myself being.

And unfortunately it feels that those two journeys don’t always look the same.



I dream about waking up in a beautiful city, every week a new one, deciding what adventure I want to have that day— traveling, creating, writing, exploring the land, and building a life that feels intentional.

My daughter dreams about something different. She wants friends. She wants consistency. She wants the experience of being a typical teenager. And probably not being with her mother 24/7 as a world schooler probably would..

And as her mother , I have to ask myself… is it okay to encourage her to step into my dreams if it means she might have to defer hers? When are the right times to honor her dreams especially if it means mine have to be on hold?

The hardest part about motherhood is realizing your child is not actually an extension of you— they are their own person. And maybe my job isn’t to convince her to see the world the way I do. Maybe my job is to create a world where we both get to become who were meant to be.

I however sit at a crossroads with deciding how exactly to make that happen.




My baby girl, my shookie, she wants me to be the typical soccer mom to give her siblings before she graduates high school, to make her a “stepford wife”” breakfast, and always have dinner ready when she arrives home. She wants stability and consistency - quite literally the opposite of me. 

But she has always been my grounding force. Forcing me to think of others not just myself. So ya know, I’m here giving this thought a chance. The thought of living with a partner I can actually build a family with not just coparent. Having a baby in the near future sometime before she’s 18 (rolls eyes) Actually having a home of my own with a lovely backyard where I can host her friends and their parents. 

But not gone lie that thought kinda makes my skin crawl a bit because I don’t feel ready. How odd to say I know. But shookie was like the birth of a sister instead of a daughter. Now it would be my time to really handle responsibility in a way I haven’t before - and I guess that scares me.

But beyond being scared — I feel it doesn’t coincide with the life I've been envisioning. Once she goes to college if I choose to have another child - that child doesn’t dissipate at the moment she goes away - I’ll still have a baby lmaoo. 😖 So even though it’s part of her dream, it’s a reality that I would need to actually love and be able to integrate with the life I see for myself. 

Im nervous that giving my first born a life she desires will take me away from mine. And maybe that is  not entirely true but it’s definitely how I feel. 

I mean right now I feel good about how my life is progressing and thankful that she is older I don’t have to deal with newborn baby tingz. I am focused on getting my body right, affording my dream car, building my online presence and platform, monetizing certain talents, figuring out where and with whom I want to live, transforming my style.. Im truly in a season of transformation to get everything I desire - so where does the life that my first born envisions, fit in exactly??

Well I hope you aren’t reading this thinking that by the end I’ll have some miraculous answer that solves my dilemma. But Ill leave yall with this..

This is definitely the part of motherhood nobody prepares you for!

You spend so much time teaching your child how to become their own person, and then one day you realize you have to do the same for yourself. Do the same for yourself while allowing them to embrace their individuality.

For so long, I've identified with just being a mom. The protector. The provider. The nurturer. The one making the decisions. The one trying to create a beautiful life for her.

But somewhere along the way, I became a woman with dreams that existed outside of motherhood.

And I don't think that makes me selfish.

I think it makes me human.

The truth is, I don’t want my daughter to grow up believing that she has to give up her dreams to love someone else. So why would I teach her that by giving up mine? A life of leisure, a life of constant travel, the life of a digital nomad, maybe even van life who knows .. Im still carving it out. 

But maybe the lesson isn’t that she has to live my adventure.

Maybe the lesson is that she gets to watch me create mine while supporting her in creating hers.

Maybe she doesn’t need a mother who becomes exactly what she imagined.

Maybe she needs a mother who shows her what it looks like to evolve.

Right now, I don’t have all the answers.

I don’t know if our future looks like a backyards full of family gatherings, a passport full of stamps, or some beautiful combination of both.

I don’t know if my next chapter includes another baby, a bigger family, or simply pouring everything I have into the daughter I already have.

But I do know this…

I don’t want to make my decisions from fear, force, or accident!

I don’t want to choose a rebirth of motherhood because im afraid of disappointing her.

And I don’t want to choose “freedom” because I'm afraid of losing myself.




I WANT TO CHOOSE FROM A PLACE OF LOVE.

Love for my daughter.

Love for the woman I am becoming.

Love for the life we are both creating.

Love for the man who enters my life and reaffirms my next chapter.

The goal was never to want the same exact life.. although that would make mine a bit easier lol.

The beauty is to find love in the journey: through the mistakes, through the trials, through the moments that make everything worth while. 

Maybe the beauty is that my daughter gets to have roots and I get to have wings.

And maybe if I do this right, she’ll grow up knowing she can have both too. 

(Hey Siri, play “Always be my baby”, by Mariah Carey) 🎤

So in a world of people seeming to have it all figured out.. Im just a woman being consistent in the one area I know how— waking up everyday and doing my best to enjoy this experience on earth!

Until next time luv bugs .. Im signing out 

-Love Nuni

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Birth of the Soft Life Ceo

Apparently, the internet has decided none of us know what a soft life is anymore. Depending on which creator you ask, its either a luxury scam, a feminine- energy cult, an anti-work movement, a mindset, an aesthetic, a trauma response, or just a girl drinking matcha in expensive pajamas. At this point, i’m convinced we’ve all attended different meetings.  Since turning thirty (yes the big 3..0 and if im asked .. I will be turning 27 again next year and the year after that lol) i’ve been thinking a lot about why this conversation matters to me in the first place. I started asking what really is a “soft life” and then I noticed something interesting happening. Every week someone says “soft life isn’t about luxury”, someone else says “soft life isn’t about men (referring to the princess treatment), then another creator says soft life isn’t an aesthetic”.. Eventually everyone begins redefining the movement until it no longer resembles what inspired millions of woman in the first place....

Welcome to the NUNIVERSE!

 HEY Loveys,  Welcome to The Nuniverse Diaries : a space I created to release all my inner thoughts surrounding my life , projects, brand building, traveling etc. I realized that I would write journal entries on all my instagram posts lol.😅  I would over explain every thought on threads and with only 160 characters, I believe, I was very limited with what I could say. So I would constantly solicit help from chattyiana (chat gpt) to condense my wording but it still didn't quite feel like me.  In building my brand, I felt I had to be more polished in how I spoke to connect with my followers but that seemed to not only stifle my creativity, it wasn’t actually helping me to connect with others. So I needed a space I could be free, somewhere I could be authentically myself and just write — a space where people could truly get to know me, how I think and understand what I want to share with the world . I really believe this blog will inspire other girlies like my self: ...

The Illusion of Cloud 9

I am not a CEO. Im not a boss. I don’t even like to work. I’ve mastered surviving. Ive mastered living comfortably. And now, I want to master financial freedom. That’s where the whole Soft Life CEO thing came into play. But maybe I was forcing myself into something I’m truly not and don’t actually desire to be. I can sell things, sure. I can create, yes. I can build ideas. But does that make me a CEO?? Does that make me a business owner? And more importantly, do I even like the ups and downs that, that comes with it? I’m starting to realize that I don’t necessarily dream of being a businesswoman. I dream of being free. And doing exactly whatever the hell I feel like doing in that moment, in that season of time. * *  All I know is that Im rich. Not necessarily in the way my bank account reflects today, but in the way I feel myself moving through life. I’ve always had this strange knowing that I’m going to be okay. I don’t always have a plan. I don’t always know the next move. I just...